Whether you’re making your way home for Christmas or you plan to spend the holidays here with us at Unilife in Southampton or Winchester, we have some great tips on how to make Christmas Day extra special, with ideas for fun games to play and some tasty festive treats to try. Just in case you over-indulge on the big day itself, we’ve thought about five ways we can help motivate you to move away from the dinner table and take to your feet!
How about giving these games a go? You can invite your Unilife neighbours or family at home to get your energy levels up after your festive feast! Best of all, these activities are affordable or do not require you buying anything, and involve an element of crafting, offering a fun way to get creative!
- Snowman Drawing Contest
Try a snowman drawing contest for your after-dinner activity. All you need is a pen and some paper plates. Place a plate on top of your head and attempt to draw a snowman. Sounds easy? Drawing on top of your head is a lot harder than you may think! Judge each other’s masterpieces, then try drawing other festive objects.
- Guess the Christmas Smell
Put a selection of classic Christmas scents (for example peppermint, nutmeg, pinecones, cinnamon and oranges) into separate jars. Blindfold your guests and ask them to guess the smell. No peeking! And how about trying branded chocolate bars or drinks? Would you recognise your favourites??
- Christmas Bingo
Bingo is an excellent game because simple and all age groups can get involved. You can find free Bingo card printouts online. Just print out a handful with candy canes, snowflakes, gingerbread men and other symbols of the season to put everyone in a holly jolly mood and get calling!
Tasty Treats for Christmas Day
Whether you are cooking Christmas dinner in our Unilife communal kitchens or you’re being cooked for at home, everyone likes little treats to nibble or sip on before and after the main event. Here are some delicious additions that you might want to bring to the party!
- Snowman Cheese Board [can use this picture: https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/snowman-cheese-board/]
Get creative and create your own festive snowman edible scene on a cheeseboard. You will need two brie or camembert wheels for the snowman – one for the body and a smaller one for the head, prosciutto ham for the scarf, cranberry buttons, raisin eyes and a mini chilli pepper nose. So easy! If you want to add other savoury treats to your scene (a hat made of pickle/ a floor made of crackers) – go ahead, there are no rules!
- Mint Snowman Marshmallows
If you love hot chocolate, how about a winter-themed version, topped with a homemade marshmallow snowman to warm you up on Christmas Day? This recipe shows you how to make marshmallows from scratch and lets you cheat with the shop-bought version too, after all – Christmas is the perfect time to be lazy!
- M&M’s Christmas Cookies
In 2018, this was voted the most popular Christmas cookie on Pinterest, and it’s not difficult to see why! Chocolate chips, M&Ms all in a cookie… what’s not to love? Give the recipe a go yourself - it is a simple tray-bake and there are very few ingredients.
Time to Get Fit
After a game and food-filled Christmas Day, some students might be keen to resume or start a fitness programme to begin 2021 healthy and active. Here are a few useful pointers for everyone - whether you are a seasoned fitness fanatic or a total newbie to exercising.
1. Follow Celest Pereira (@celestperreirayoga) on Instagram. Celest is a London based yoga teacher with live classes and has plenty of inspirational quotes and tips to help you get motivated.
2. Plan to see a friend for a fitness-related catch-up - a bike ride, a power walk or a jog will get you out and about, it is free, and you’ll feel so refreshed.
3. Download the Nike App to access free workouts, training, and nutrition support. You do not even have to leave the comfort of your own studio to participate in many of the exercises featured on both of these coaching apps.
4. If you’re new to exercising or not sure what the best equipment to help you get started might be, have a look at The Independent’s suggestions for the Best Home Fitness Equipment for home workouts, including reviews for home and outdoor gear.
5. Finally, do not forget - if you’re in a Unilife location over Christmas, we have our own free 24hr on-site gyms – how about heading there to give your body a boost of exercise. The best part is that you do not have to set foot outside and you are only a few seconds away from your own refreshing en-suite shower afterwards!